Friday, August 31, 2007

The Sometimes Reluctant Mother

So I have been really struggling with my new status of SAHM (stay at home mom). This is the end of B's second week back at work, and while it was much better than the misery of last week, I still did not take a lot of joy in the care of my charge. I have been feeling rather desperate to get back to work, that is, a job. Then last night I had a rather jarring conversation that made me realize what a privilege it is not to HAVE to work. A friend's situation (see previous post) basically made me realize how good I have it. Despite the fact that I don't rejoice at changing diapers and warming bottles and going for hours with no adult conversation (I am an extrovert), I have the privilege (?!?) of being able to take care of my own baby. I don't HAVE TO turn her over to someone else. This is probably not a newsflash to anyone else but me. It reminded me that there is NO feeling worse than feeling like you have no choices, and I have choices. I should be grateful for that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Liz, staying how with your chidlren, while it is REALLY TRYING FOR US EXTROVERTS!! gets so MUCH EASIER as your kids get older and can have conversations with you and you can go do things together and when you have people around you to do things TOGETHER WITH your children! Keep telling yourself that this season will pass because it does! Btw, I love your blog and will read it faithfully : )

Bluecanopy said...

I like the title beacause let's face it, who isn't???

Oh and I'll read your blog too:)